COVID-19 can't stop the Show!
State and county winning Reflections art students
Congratulations to 7th grader, Whitman Buechner, who was a state winner in the Reflections art competition. He won for film and will now advance to nationals.—Jennifer Greene, HMS PTSA Reflections art
1st place for HMS Science Olympiad team
Congratulations to the Henderson Middle School Science Olympiad team for taking 1st place honors at the regional competition held on Sat Feb 29 at Oconee County High School. The team (15 students) competed against 17 other teams and brought home 30 medals along with the 1st Place Trophy! The team now moves on to the State Competition to be held in March.
Here are the winners and their events.
- Hannah Choy : Crime Busters - 1st place / Heredity - 1st place / Reach for the Stars - 2nd place / Anatomy and Physiology - 4th place
- Habin Yoo : Crime Busters -1st place / Heredity - 1st place / Road Scholar - 1st place
- Ishaan Marwaha : Dynamic Planet - 1st place / Machines - 1st place / Experimental Design - 3rd place
- Haaven Siye : Dynamic Planet - 1st place / Machines - 1st place / Elastic Launched Glider - 3rd place
- Alice Gustafson : Fossils - 2nd place / Elastic Launched Glider - 3rd place / Density Lab - 4th place
- William Han : Disease Detectives - 1st place / Game On - 4th place
- Henry Fonder-Kristy : Fossils - 2nd place / Food Science - 3rd place
- Nahom Samuel : Experimental Design - 3rd place / Density Lab - 4th place
- Joshua Kho : Anatomy and Physiology - 4th place / Game On - 4th place
- Abbey Arrowood : Road Scholar - 1st place
- Shreya Chatterjee : Disease Detectives - 1st place
- Preshika Chhetri : Write It Do It - 1st place
- Clare Rollins : Write It Do It - 1st place
- Jiya Shah : Reach for the Stars - 2nd place
- Cassie Hopper : Food Science - 3rd place
—Ms Clark (Science, 7C), Sponsor, HMS Science Olympiad
Four HMS students to Georgia State Science Fair
Congratulations to the following HMS Science Fair participants for advancing to the Georgia State Science Fair in Athens the end of March.
- Hannah Choy – Recycling: Quantity or Quality?
- Monica Mistry – Are Household Detergents A More Effective DNA Extraction Buffer?
- Christine Olsen – What is the Best Way to Cook Chicken?
- Evan George – Eco-Friendly or Not? Ask the Worms
HMS Odyssey of the Mind team achieves
The HMS Odyssey of the Mind team competed at the North Georgia Odyssey of the Mind Regional Tournament this weekend, placing 1st in their Long-Term Problem and 4th overall, narrowly missing (by <1%!) their opportunity to compete at State. Team members were: Julia Barker (7th), Elijah Bedinger (6th), Savannah Bedinger (8th), Nathan Kvicala (6th), Ella Shevlin (7th), Shane Spillett (7th), and Ben Zajac (7th).
Odyssey of the Mind is a creative problem-solving program where team members work together at length to solve a predefined long-term problem—involving various elements of theatrical performance, construction, and design—and a short-term, spontaneous, think-creatively-on-the-spot element. Learn more at odysseyofthemind.com .—Melissa Sizemore (HMS parent alum), Coach, HMS Odyssey of the Mind
—Julia Zajac (HMS parent), Coach, HMS Odyssey of the Mind
Two All-star basketball stars
This past Saturday, Alexia Spetseris and Charles Johnson, represented Henderson in the Dekalb County Middle School All-star Basketball Game. We are so proud of both of these students and their leadership on the court!—Angelo Spetseris, HMS parent
Reading Bowl 3rd place
Congratulations to our HMS Reading Bowl team for taking 3rd Place honors at the Metro Atlanta Regional Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl held on February 8, 2020 at Clayton State University. This follows our 1st place win at the DeKalb Competition. Great job to all our HMS Reading Bowl Club and Team members for making this a great reading bowl season!—Mr Mason, Media Specialist, HMS Reading Bowl Club
Robot rookies achieve 3rd place
The HMS CougarBots, competing in the FIRST Tech Challenge robotics league, finished 3rd out of 26 mostly high school teams in their league championship competition on January 25, just barely missing out on qualifying for the Georgia state tournament. Congratulations to the team for such an impressive achievement in their rookie season! The CougarBots members are HMS students Andrew Bitsko, Caeli Mistretta, Darby Marsh, Emory Kennett, Graham Hege, Jake Grant, Logan Kokoth, Nahom Berhe, Nathan Mowinski, Sam Hershner, and Will Petrich.—Wes Hunder, HMS CougarBots Coach, community volunteer
—Mr Ernst, Engineering & Technology
By joining the PTSA, you help us meet our school's needs that are outside the scope of their budget. You also get access to our online Directory with an app for your smartphone.
Email HMS PTSA:
To receive messages from Principal Patillo:
Connect with School Messenger