OPEN HOUSE / REGISTRATION
WEDNESDAY - JULY 31, 2019
NOTE: Different Times for 6th & 8th Grades this Year
8TH GRADE – 8:30 A.M. to 10:30 A.M.
7TH GRADE – 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
6TH GRADE – 2 P.M. to 4 P.M.
Parents who cannot attend during above hours may meet with administrators
between 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
At Henderson Open House & Registration you will:
- Provide Proof of Residency - Important and Required
- Complete online registration if you did not do it prior to Open House
- Find out your team and homeroom teacher
- Meet your teachers for the year and get school supply lists
- Find out your bus number and route
- Get cafeteria and lunch information
- Join the PTSA or renew your annual PTSA membership
- Sign up to volunteer
- Check out athletics and clubs
- Pick up student Agenda planner ($10) - Required-every student needs one
- Shop for HMS spirit wear
New to DeKalb County Schools?
Please visit the HMS Main Office first and provide important paperwork. Click here for more information.
USE OUR ONLINE REGISTRATION TO:
Update your student and directory account information
Purchase your 2019-2020 PTSA membership, Agenda, and HMS Spirit Wear
Donate to our Henderson Heroes Fund
Sign up for volunteer opportunities
Get a FASTPASS to skip lines at Open House
HERE’S HOW TO GET STARTED WITH ONLINE REGISTRATION
If you already have a Membership Toolkit account from last year or with another school, you can use that to log in here and then skip to step 5.
- Create an account. Simply click the Register Now button below.
- Select New User > Create Account, and follow the prompts.
- Click "verify my email" and then check your email for a link. The link expires in 2 hours. If you do not receive the email, check your spam folders.
- Verify your email.
- Log back in and finish the registration process: add your contact and student information and set your directory publish preferences.
- You can then purchase the required school Agenda, join the PTSA, donate to the Henderson Heroes Fundraiser and Teacher Appreciation, purchase HMS spirit wear, and, sign up to be a parent volunteer. And then checkout.
- Use your account to subscribe to our e-blast newsletters and our calendar.
- After you're all done with online registration with PTSA, don't forget to sign up online for School Cafe (meal payments for school lunch) and complete your application for free and reduced lunch.
SCHOOL SUPPLY LISTS
Click HERE for a GENERAL school supply list to go by for standard items. Students will receive a list specific for their assigned Team at Open House on July 31st. Keep your receipt for returns if your Team supply list differs greatly from this general list. Students do not have lockers the first few days. Please send your student with a notebook and a pen or pencil, along with their Agenda only on the first day of school.
NEW STYLES FOR 2019-20 SCHOOL YEAR
Get your Cougars back to school ready with our new 2019-2020 Spirit Wear and our marked down styles from last year! Pre-orders will only be available to order online through July 29th at 3:00 pm. Pre-orders will be available for pick up at Open House on July 31st from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm.
You will be able to purchase spirit wear in person at Open House on July 31st, but it will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. To ensure your Cougar gets the size and style they want, order online today during online registration!
NEW 2019-2020 Merchandise:
“Henderson United” T-shirt - $12
Navy Hoodie - $20
Limited Edition White Hoodie - $20 (only available for purchase at Open House)
Blue Crewneck Sweatshirt - $25
Gym Shorts - $15
Car Magnet - $5
Cinch Bag - $10
2018-2019 SALE Merchandise:
Grey T-shirt - $7
Cardinal Blue Hoodie - $15
Grey Long Sleeve T-shirt - $15
New to Henderson Middle School?
Do you have a rising 6th grader coming to HMS in the Fall or are you otherwise new to HMS? Check out our New Parent web page with lots of information for New Parents on our Parent Resources tab of the website.
New to DeKalb County School District?
Click here to access New Student Registration form.
Registration for Free & Reduced Lunch
DeKalb School Nutrition Services is now accepting online applications for the 2019 - 2020 school year via School Café. See the attached flyer.
This website can be used to:
- Apply for free and reduced meal benefits and receive instant notification of status.
- Make meal prepayments.
Open House is a big event and it takes many parent volunteers. HMS needs YOU! Please sign up to help.
The Henderson Middle PTSA has two key leadership positions that need to be filled. Please consider one of these Board opportunities for the upcoming two-year term. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to nominate yourself or let us know of potential candidates!
* 1st Year President – the cool thing about PTSA president is you're never working alone! Karen Courtney-Long will be the 2nd year leading co-president (rising 7th grade) with Stefanie Zuber as the exiting co-president (but still available to consult/advise). This is not your elementary school presidency – it is NOT all consuming. Both co-prez and all Board members have full time jobs. You can do this!
* VP Fundraising - Oversees the committees that fall within Fundraising (Open house, Henderson hero fund, School store, Spirit wear, Book fair, etc) – There is a strong team of volunteers running these activities under this Chair and most of these activities are mini-sprints (short and fast) in nature.
The PTSA is looking for members interested in serving as committee chairs and co-chairs for the 2019-20 school year. Responsibilities and time commitments vary widely. We have roles that can be filled exclusively from home, some that require frequent visits to Henderson Middle School during the school day, and everything in between.
Committees include: Team Parent Coordinator, Parent Tours, Open House and Registration Day, School Store, Cultural Arts, Honors Cake/Ice Cream, Hospitality, Teacher and Staff Appreciation, Administrative Professionals Day, Box Tops, Spirit Wear and PTSA Reflections.
Use the volunteer interest form here or email email@example.com to volunteer for a PTSA committee.
SIGN UP FOR SCHOOL MESSENGER TEXT SERVICE
Stay current on all Henderson Middle School official updates by signing up for the School Messenger Text Service. See the attached flyer for instructions.
PRINCIPAL ADVISORY COUNCIL ELECTIONS
The Principal Advisory Council (PAC, formerly School Council) for Henderson Middle School will have two openings for parent/guardian members that need to be filled for the 2019-2020 school year. Not sure what the PAC does? Read all about it on the PAC webpage. If you are interested in serving, you can declare your candidacy by August 23. Please complete a Parent/Guardian Candidate Declaration Form available here.
The elections will be held in September.
DO YOU PREFER SPANISH?
THE BILINGUAL LIASON IS HERE TO HELP!
HMS has many parents who are still learning English, most of them Spanish speakers, but the interpreter is available only two days. Did you know? The HMS Foundation is funding a bilingual liaison, Ailyn Ueda, to help our Spanish speaking parents communicate more effectively with teachers and staff, so that they can all work together to help our students learn.
The bilingual liaison is available Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30am-1:30pm and the interpreter is available on Thursdays and Fridays
SHOP AND HELP THE SCHOOL FOR FREE
Did you know? If you shop at Publix, Kroger, or Amazon, you can help HMS and it won’t cost you a dime.
Kroger: Simply connect your Kroger Plus card to HMS online (once each year), and Kroger will donate money to the HMS foundation every time you shop and use your card. Renew your membership now if you haven’t done so this summer!
Go to krogercommunityrewards.com. Follow the instructions to set up an account, and then search for Henderson Middle or the organization number QJ092 and connect your card. That's all!
Publix: Simply sign up for a Publix.com account (if you don’t already have one), select Henderson Middle School, then enter your phone number at checkout. Publix Partners will give back to our school every time you shop.
(If you have a Publix Partners keychain card, you can throw it away soon, they will no longer be useful after September).
Amazon: HMS participates in the Amazon Smile program: Simply use this link before you shop https://smile.amazon.com/ch/46-4690842 and the HMS foundation will receive money back each time.
Tell your family, friends, and neighbors! They can all help our school for free while they shop.
ACCESS GEORGIA MILESTONE AND MAP SCORES ONLINE
Did you know you can look at your child's Georgia Milestone and MAP scores online? They are stored in the Statewide Longitudinal Data System (SLDS). You can access your child's record through Infinite Campus at http://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/infinite-campus/ or https://campus.dekalb.k12.ga.us.
Click on 'SLDS Portal' (on the left side menu), and then click on 'Performance'. (Please note that this is through the website, not the app).
If you don't have an Infinite Campus account yet, it's important that you set one up. This is the website where you can see your child's schedule, attendance, grades, and assignments. Contact the school to get your activation code.
PARKING REMINDER FOR STUDENT PICKUP
In order to make sure HMS students are able to safely maneuver through the car lane and on Bolero Drive during afternoon dismissal, we are asking parents to park on the side of the street closest to the school. Also, feel free to park in the second parking lot on Bolero Drive at the bottom of the hill if you are waiting to pick up your child. Please help us ensure the safety of our students by following this procedure.
BUS DISMISSAL PROCEDURE
HMS is now dismissing buses in waves. HMS will use the REMIND app and the PA system in the building to communicate who is being dismissed during the first wave.
If you would like to join the REMIND group, in order to receive text to see bus routes included in each wave, please follow these directions:
Please download the REMIND app to your phone. Then, to join the HMS Remind Bus Dismissal Group, text @76h69f to 81010. If you cannot text, go online to www.remind.com/join, enter code @76h69f and your phone number or email address.