Open House and Registration
Henderson Middle School
At HMS, registration is usually from the morning to early afternoon, and different times are set aside for different grades. You can attend at a different time than assigned but you may not meet the teachers then.
What to do:
- Preparation: Complete online registration with PTSA to: join HMS PTSA, ensure you receive all school communications, purchase your child’s Agenda (a planner book with a calendar that all students need), opt-in to HMS online Directory, purchase HMS spirit wear, donate to Henderson Heroes PTSA fundraiser, sign up to volunteer. (Note: If you don't pre-register online before Open House, go to the Media Center to complete online registration.)
- Come to Henderson on the day of Open House!
- First step: Bring your proof of residency to Cafeteria to confirm registration. This is for all new and returning students. Utility bill (gas, electric, water), lease, mortgage contract are accepted. Phone bill is insufficient! (Note: HMS will keep this proof of residency in your child's permanent folder. Bring a copy the school can keep.)
- Second step:
- Come to Gym
- Find your child’s team number and home room teacher posted on the wall. Organized by grade level. The room number is on the paper as well. (Note for those new to DCSD: Enrollment in the system needs to be completed by the Friday before Open House in order for HMS staff to assign a team and home room teacher by the day of Open House. If not, your child needs to check in the front office on the first day to see to which team they belong.)
- Purchase an Agenda or pick up your Agenda if you ordered online (required for all students)
- Purchase Spirit Wear (clothing and accessories with the school logo) or pick up pre-ordered spirit wear
- Shop for school supplies at the School Store
- Learn about opportunities to volunteer
- Sign up for clubs (this is interest only, your child is not committed to attending)
- Complete your application for free and reduced lunch
- Cash, check, or credit cards are accepted
- Ask the teacher about the supplies they want your child to have, they have lists. Note that your child should not bring them the first day. A notebook and pencil only until they are assigned lockers (usually about the middle of the week).
- Schedules are usually not ready because many new students still register that week and final order of classes can’t be determined until most students are in the system. Your child will receive their schedule once school starts. Do check the schedule, errors can happen.
- Walk with your child to all the classrooms including special rooms like Chorus, Orchestra, etc.
- Send your child with a notebook and some pencils only. No book bags until lockers are assigned
- Sign up to pre-pay school lunch at www.SchoolCafe.com. Information on the nutrition program is also here http://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/school-nutrition/
- Transportation: There are benefits to letting your child take the bus early on so that the driver learns who is on their route. Traffic around the school in the beginning of the year is often a mess. Please note that buses do tend to run late until a routine is established. If you decide to drive, read the drop-off procedures!
Subscribe to the weekly HMS PTSA email Newsletter
Subscribe to Newsletter
Email HMS PTSA:
To receive messages from Principal Patillo:
Connect with School Messenger
Find us on Facebook!
By joining the PTSA, you help us meet our school's needs that are outside the scope of their budget. You also get access to our online Directory with an app for your smartphone.